Saturday, May 22, 2010

Do You Know the Muffin Man?

In addition to my travels, I've decided to supplement my blog with the interesting new places I dine at.

After picking up the June 2010 issue of the Washingtonian, highlighting CHEAP EATS, I've decided to make it an adventure to try as many of these places as I can this summer and see if, what they say, truly matches my experience.

Today's choice: Muffin Man Caribbean Cafe

What the magazine says:
"The muffins might be the big lure - the case up front holds two dozen colorful varieties - but this order-at-the-counter operation also boasts some of the most authentic island cooking around, from electric preparations of jerk to excellent overstuffed roti."

Magazine's Picks on What to Get: "Rum-raisin, carrot-cake, cranberry, and cream-cheese/streusel muffins; jerk shrimp; roti, including chicken and potato (the latter is lighter but doesn't stint on flavor or heat); stuffed shrimp with fries and coleslaw."

My Opinions:

It was a surprisingly easy drive to get to Lanham, MD and finding the store was as easy too. Situated next to a "CLUCK-U Chicken" (I must try that place sometime) and across from a "RITA's WATER ICE", the unimposing facade of the building matched every other store front in the strip mall. Entering the store, you instantly notice the display of muffins, being showcased by the bright light in the case and the smell of the spices and slow cooking in the air. Looking at the menu, I noticed the prices to be decent: Main Meals ranging from $9-$15 but I was quickly drawn in by the sheer variety of muffins. Ranging from Guava to Strawberry Streusel, from Chocolate Chocolate Chip to Sweet Potato, the muffins were a good size to enjoy.

The atmosphere was very basic with tables set up cafeteria style but the portraits of Bob Marley on the walls and the reggae music being played throughout the store added a bit of that Caribbean feeling that we expect coming to a place with such a name.

I decided on getting the Chicken Curry Roti with a Iced Carrot and Cream Cheese/Streusel muffin to taste later. My company all got different things too so I can discuss those items as well.
The wait was quick, the seating was plenty and the workers in the store were definitely friendly. It was obvious that MUFFIN MAN was a local treasure. Customers came in and were greeted and hugged by the workers. Some even helped out with the orders.

I picked up my plate from the counter, Order #37, and was surprised by the portion that was sitting on my plate. The behemoth trumped over the already large plate and I could tell that this was going to be a satisfying meal. The chicken was delicious and the curry wasn't overpowering the taste of the vegetables. I did wonder, however, what the powder stuff inside my roti was. It was unpleasant but none-the-less still a satisfying meal.

My friends enjoyed classic dishes such as their spicy, with a kick, jerk chicken and their brown chicken stew. Both dishes came with slaw and rice. The chicken fell off the bone and the meat was juicy and tender. The spices were interesting and probably not my favorite combination of seasonings.

MY RATINGS (1-5)
Atmosphere: 2
Food: 3.5
Satisfaction vs. Price: 3

Tip: Definitely save room for a muffin. They are probably the best part of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment